A.R.T.


One thing you might not know about me is that I love to draw.

This is one of my teammates, Rebecca Reid. If you don't know who she is, well, I think she looks something like this.

My dad can draw. My parents have a drawing that he did when he was around my age framed in their bedroom. My brother can draw, too, and when I was younger I wanted to be a part of them sharing their work with each other, getting advice/critique, bonding over it, and most of all it made me so proud to get it good enough to hear my dad say, "Holy! That's pretty good!"  It would always make me walk away with my chest puffed out a bit and a stupid, smug grin on my face.

I love getting someone to doodle something on my back and guessing what it is. One of my favorite games to play is watching someone draw something and having to guess what it is as soon as possible. I would always learn a lot when playing this with my dad because he would always start the drawing in an unexpected spot - for example, if he was drawing a face he would start with the nostril, or if he was drawing a drum he would start with the bolts that run along the rim. It would make me see the image from a different perspective. I like to draw faces and bodies, it's still hard for me to make material things look real-life.

Drawing seems to be a hobby that I'll pick up for a bit then drop, only to re-discover it again later. Only recently did people outside of my family learn that I like to draw. The portrait of Rebecca that I did last week was the first portrait that I've done of someone that I know, and it was hard! It's hard to capture the right expression and all the little things that make Rebecca look like Rebecca. We've all got two eyes, a nose and a mouth after all, it's just a matter of noticing all the details. 

This guy. I have a little fascination with Marilyn Manson, he's so crazy and a genius. This was my first attempt with color, and crayola pencils don't make it easy... anyone want to buy me some Prismaclolor pencils? :)


Hakuna Matata!

J

Popular Posts